FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 72, Berkeley College 56
RANKINGS: Apprentice School (#5/USCAA D1); Berkeley (#4/USCAA D2)
RECORDS: Apprentice School 18-4; Berkeley 14-5
LOCATION: New Rochelle, NY
ON THE COURT: Sophomore Kenya Wilkerson scored 20 points to lead three in double figures on Sunday afternoon as the Apprentice School defeated Berkeley College 72-56 in a U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association matchup.
The Lady Builders jumped out to a 7-0 lead on a Shanae Hilliard 3-pointer with 16:08 left. Berkeley responded with a quick 6-1 run to trim the margin to 8-6 on a Milan Germany jumper with 15:06 left. Apprentice School pushed the lead to 23-13 with 6:48 left as Wilkerson scored on a layup off a feed from Courtney Collins.
In the second half, the lead grew to 49-34 with 13:17 left on a 3-pointer from Hilliard. Berkeley had a run in them to cut the lead to 63-56 with 2:47 left on a Janay Thomas 3-point play. That was the last points of the game for Berkeley as the Lady Builders closed the game with the last nine points.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Wilkerson had nine assists, six rebounds and three steals to go with her game-high 20 points. The 20 points is a season-high for Wilkerson topping her 17-point outing at Salem College on February 4.
- Collins had 19 points, five rebounds and five steals while Hilliard added 13 for the Lady Builders.
- Apprentice School was 16-of-29 (53.2%) from the field in the second half and 8-of-10 (80%) from the foul line.
- The win is the eighth in a row for the Lady Builders.
- Berkeley was topped by Aiyesha Brown with 18 points, Janay Thomas and Patricia Patterson with 15 each.
NEXT UP – Bennett College
The Lady Builders continue a six-game road swing in Greensboro, NC when they face Bennett College on Thursday night at 6 pm.