FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 81, Penn State Beaver 72
EVENT: Penn State Beaver Tip-off
LOCATION: Monaca, PA
RECORDS: Apprentice School 1-0; Penn State Beaver 0-1
IN BRIEF: Junior Kenya Wilkerson and senior Shanae Hilliard scored 15 points to pace five in double figures as the Apprentice School defeated Penn State Beaver 81-72 in the opening round of the Penn State Beaver Tip-off on Saturday night.
ON THE FLOOR
- The Lady Builders tied the game at 5-all on a jumper from Ylexis Traeger with 18:14 left. Penn State Beaver went on an 8-0 run over the next 3:22 to go up 13-5 on an Asia Borders jumper with 14:52 left in the half.
- The lead was tied two times over the next four minutes as a jumper from Jessica Neighbors jumper with 10:34 left to tie the game at 19-all.
- Over the next 7:26, the Lady Builders erupted on a 17-1 run as a Wilkerson jumper with 3:08 left in the half gave them a 36-20 advantage.
- A pair of Wilkerson free throws put Apprentice School up 44-24 at the half.
- In the second half, the Lady Builders held a 17-point lead with 4:42 left as Quanisha Bruce hit a jumper to go up 73-56. The hosts had one more run in them scoring the next eight points as Cassandra Flowers went one-of-two from the foul line to trim the margin to 73-64 with 3:25 left. That was as close as the hosts got in the game.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Courtney White scored a career high 13 points to join the double figure group. Neighbors added 11 points and six rebounds going 5-of-6 from the field.
- Freshman Quanisha Bruce recorded a double-double in her first collegiate game with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
- The Lady Builders were 30-of-81 from the field (37%), hit 6-of-19 from 3-point range (31.6%) 15-of-36 (41.7%) and were out-rebounded 64-49.
- Penn State Beaver was topped by Flowers who had 16 points and a game-high 23 rebounds. The hosts were 23-of-79 from the floor (29.1%), 3-of-19 from 3-point range (15.8%) and 23-of-38 from the foul line (60.5%).
This was the first-win against Penn State Beaver as the hosts had won the previous two meetings.
The Lady Builders will face Carlow University in the 3pm championship game on Sunday afternoon. The Celtics defeated Penn State DuBois 59-36 in the opener Saturday.