FINAL SCORE: Carlow 58, Apprentice School 57
RECORDS: Carlow 2-0; Apprentice School 1-1
EVENT: Penn State Beaver Tip-off
LOCATION: Monaca, PA
IN BRIEF: A frantic second-half rally fell short for the Lady Builders on Sunday as they dropped a 58-57 decision to Carlow University in the finals of the Penn State Beaver Tip-off.
ON THE COURT
- The Lady Builders scored first on a jumper from Ylexis Traeger just 27 seconds into the game, but saw the Celtics respond with a 15-3 run over the next 6:18 to go up 15-5 on a Chanel Berry jumper with 13:15 remaining.
- Apprentice School cut the deficit to eight points in several occasions, but that was as close as they could get in the first half. A Kenya Wilkerson jumper with 1:46 left brought them to 33-25, but a pair of free throws from Natalie Alexander closed the half with Carlow up 35-25.
- In the second half, the Lady Builders trimmed the margin to 39-32 on a jumper from Jessica Neighbors with 16:25 left before the Celtics went on a 13-5 flurry over the following 5:19 to lead 52-37 on a 3-pointer from Erin DeSanti with 11:06 left.
- Apprentice School roared back into the game on the heels of an 18-2 run over the next 5:45 as a Wilkerson jumper with 5:21 left put them up 55-54 for the first time in the game since 2-0.
- Traeger went 1-of-2 from the line with 67 seconds left to put the Lady Builders up 57-56, but a jumper from Samantha Simpson with seven seconds left gave the Celtics a 58-57 lead. One last shot by the Lady Builders bounced off at the horn.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Neighbors and Traeger were the leading scorers with 11 points each for the Lady Builders. Wilkerson added 10 points and five assists as the Apprentice School was 21-of-66 from the floor (31.8%), 4-of-17 from 3-point range (23.5%) and 11-of-18 from the foul line (61.1%).
- Simpson was the leading scorer in the game for Carlow with 16 points, while DeSanti added 13 as the Celtics were 25-of-59 from the floor (42.4%), 1-of-9 from behind the arc (11.1%) and 7-of-15 from the foul line (46.7%). Each team hauled in 35 rebounds.
- Neighbors was named to the All-Tournament team.
The Lady Builders will hit the home hardwood to face Penn State Fayette at 3 pm on Saturday.