FINAL SCORE: Virginia Union 101, Apprentice School 48
RECORDS: Virginia Union 3-1, Apprentice School 2-3
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Center
IN BRIEF: Senior Shanae Hilliard scored 16 points, while freshman Ylexzis Traeger added 11 points and 10 rebounds as the Lady Builders fell 101-48 to Virginia Union University on Wednesday night.
ON THE COURT
- Visiting Virginia Union University raced out to a 17-2 lead on a ShaHadah Barrett 3-point play with 15:47 left in the first half. The Lady Builders responded with an 11-4 run over the next 2:47 to trim the deficit to 21-13 on a Johnelle Johnson jumper with 13 minutes left.
- The Panthers used a 16-3 run over the next 6:49 to push the advantage to 37-16 on a Taylor White jumper with 6:11 left. Hilliard drained consecutive 3-pointers to bring the Lady Builders to 37-22 with 5:26 left, but that was as close as they got the rest of the night.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The double-double for Traeger was her first of the season and the second for the Lady Builders this year. Quanisha Bruce had a double-double of 12 points and 11 rebounds in the season-opening win at Penn State Beaver.
- Hilliard hit four 3-pointers in a game for the third time in five games this year and for the second straight game. She was 4-of-7 from behind-the-arc against Christopher Newport University on Sunday.
- VUU was topped by Ashle Freeman with 28 points, seven rebounds, nine assists and nine steals. Barrett and White each had 24 points, while Barrett topped the Panthers on the boards with 10.
The Lady Builders will hit the home floor again on December 5 when they face Barber-Scotia College in a 5:30 pm start.