FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 74, Barber-Scotia 67
RECORDS: Apprentice School 3-3, Barber-Scotia 3-7
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Center/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: In a game of wild runs, the homestanding Lady Builders held off a charge from Barber-Scotia on Friday night for a 74-67 U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association win.
ON THE COURT
- After trailing 4-0 early, the Lady Builders went on an 11-1 run over a 3:22 span as a free throw from Ylexzis Traeger gave the hosts an 11-5 lead with 14:37 left in the opening half.
- The Sabers hung around and tied the game on four occasions in the first half, the last being at 25-all on a layup from A-Sonte' Rochelle with 6:36 left. From there, the Lady Builders went on a half-ending 24-1 run as a 3-point play from Kenya Wilkerson with seven seconds left in the half gave Apprentice School a 49-26 lead.
- In the second half, the Lady Builders scored six of the first seven points as Traeger went 1-of-2 from the line to give them a 55-27 lead with 17:40 left.
- Barber-Scotia would not go away quietly as they trimmed the lead to 63-45 on a layup from Ashleigh Turner with 11:28 left.
- Following a jumper from Tia Brothers to push the lead back to 20 at 65-45 with 11:08 left, the Lady Builders fell victim to a 22-6 as Barber-Scotia got back to 71-67 on a TyAmber Willis jumper with 20 seconds left.
- One Wilkerson free throw and a pair of free throws from Traeger in the final 13 seconds helped propel the Lady Builders to the victory.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The Lady Builders run to a 55-27 lead turned into a 30-2 run that spanned nearly a nine minute stretch of both halves.
- Wilkerson was the leading scorer for the Lady Builders with 17 points going 5-of-8 from the floor, 6-of-9 from the line and hitting her only 3-point attempt.
- Joining her in double figures was Shanae Hilliard with 15 points, Courtney White with 13 and six assists, while Traeger had a double-double of 12 points and a game-high 13 rebounds.
- Barber-Scotia was topped by Lindsay Lee with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Her jumper with 6:47 left helped put her over 1,000-career points at Barber-Scotia College.
- Joining her in double figures was Darrian Bush with 16, Willis with 12 and Turner with 10.
The Lady Builders visit Elizabeth City, NC to face NCAA Division II Elizabeth City State University at 5:30 pm on December 11.