FINAL SCORE: Elizabeth City St. 70, Apprentice School 42
RECORDS: Elizabeth City St. 4-4, Apprentice School 3-4
LOCATION: RL Vaughan Center/Elizabeth City, NC
IN BRIEF: Sophomores Jessica Neighbors and Courtney White scored 11 points apiece to lead the Lady Builders on Thursday night as they fell 70-42 at NCAA Division II Elizabeth City State.
ON THE COURT
- The Lady Builders jumped out early on the hosts scoring the first five points as a 3-point play from Neighbors with 16:31 left in the half gave them a 5-0 lead.
- That turned into the last lead of the night for the Lady Builders as ECSU went on a 24-3 run over the next nearly seven minutes as a pair of Jasmine Boyd free throws pushed the lead to 24-8 with 9:38 left in the half.
- Apprentice School cut it as close as nine points in the first half as Shanae Hilliard hit her second 3-pointer of the half with 53 seconds left trimming the margin to 33-24.
- In the second half, a free throw from Ylexzis Traeger helped get the deficit to 37-25, but that was as close as they got the rest of the night.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- With her two first-half 3-pointers, Hilliard broke the school record for career 3-pointers made as she now has 126. She entered the game tied with Taffey Thomas for the mark with 124.
- Hilliard was next in line scoring for The Apprentice school with eight points and a team-high six rebounds.
- Elizabeth City State was topped by Jadda Jefferies with 30 points and six rebounds, while Jasmine Nixon added 10 points and seven rebounds.
- Neither team shot the ball that well as Elizabeth City was 25-of-64 from the floor (39.1%), while the Lady Builders were 10-of-42 (23.8%).
The Lady Builders will close out their 2014 home portion of the schedule on Saturday afternoon with a 2pm tip against Eastern Mennonite University.