FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 70, Eastern Mennonite 65
RECORDS: Apprentice School 4-4; Eastern Mennonite 6-2
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Center/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: Sophomore Courtney White scored 18 points and hauled in seven rebounds to lead four in double figures on Saturday afternoon as the Lady Builders knocked off Eastern Mennonite University 70-65.
ON THE COURT
- White drained a 3-pointer just 44 seconds into the game to give the Lady Builders a 3-0 lead, a lead they never relinquished in the game.
- Eastern Mennonite tied the game at 11-all on a 3-pointer from Sa'Mone Moore with 15:38 left in the half.
- Apprentice School went on a 12-4 flurry over the next six minutes to take a 23-15 lead on a pair of Ylexzis Traeger free throws with 9:53 left.
- The Royals methodically worked their way back into the contest as a pair of Tia Byrd free throws with 5:59 left brought them to 28-27.
- A 13-3 Lady Builder run over the next 5:30 gave them their largest lead of the game at 41-30 on a White jumper with 29 seconds left in the half.
- In the second half, the lead hit 11 on three different occasions with the last being on a White steal and layup with 5:23 left for a 62-51 advantage.
- Eastern Mennonite responded with an 11-2 run over the next 4:20 as a 3-pointer from the right corner by Alisa Brown with 63 seconds left brought them to 64-62.
- Down the stretch the Lady Builders went 6-for-6 from the foul line in the final 50 seconds as Kenya Wilkerson drained four of those and Shanae Hilliard hit the other two to ice the win.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The Lady Builders never trailed in the contest as they lead for all but 78 seconds of the game.
- Eastern Mennonite had won six games in a row after losing its season opener. They advanced to the NCAA Division III Tournament last year with an at-large bid.
- Apprentice School was handled on the boards losing that battle 59-33 as Shakeerah Sykes had 16 rebounds to go with her game-high 25 points for the Royals.
- White's 18 points is a career-high for her to lead the Lady Builders.
- Hilliard added 13 points, four assists and four steals, while Wilkerson chipped in with 12 points, eight rebounds ,five assists and five steals. Traeger also scored 12 points going 6-for-6 from the foul line.
- Sykes was the leading scorer in the game with her 25-point, 16-rebound outing. Jess Rheinheimer added 14 points and nine rebounds for EMU, while Nora Osei chipped in with 12 points and eight boards.
Apprentice School travels to Ettrick, Va. on Tuesday night for a matchup against the Virginia State Trojans at 5:30 pm.