FINAL SCORE: Virginia State 96, Apprentice School 52
RECORD: Virginia State 8-2; Apprentice School 4-5
LOCATION: Ettrick, VA
IN BRIEF: The final run of the Lady Builders against the NCAA Division II Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association opposition saw The Apprentice School fall 96-52 at Virginia State University on Tuesday.
ON THE COURT
- The Lady Builders held a 4-2 lead at the 18:02 mark after a layup from Ylexzis Traeger which turned into their only lead of the night.
- Over the first seven minutes, the game was tied on four occasions. A 3-pointer from Shanae Hilliard with 12:52 left brought the visitors even at 15-all.
- Virginia State then went on a 20-2 run over a 6:25 span to take a 35-17 lead on a layup from Deshae Jones with 6:37 left. A layup from Traeger stopped a 10-0 start to that run.
- Traeger hit a layup with 6:03 left to get the Lady Builders closer at 37-20, but the hosts then closed the half on a 12-3 run to lead 51-23 as Johnelle Johnson slowed that run on a free throw with 16 seconds left.
- In the second half, the Lady Builders got as close as 25 points on two occasions as a Hilliard 3-pointer brought them to 57-32 with 16:17 left.
- That unfortunately turned into their last points for an over nine minute span as the hosts went on a 22-0 run to lead 79-32 on a Tiffanie Adair layup with 8:05 left. Kenya Wilkerson stopped that run with a layup at the 7:12 mark making the score 79-34.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- This concluded a three-game run against members of the NCAA Division II Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association as the Lady Builders played Virginia Union and Elizabeth City State University in the last 20 days.
- Hilliard was the leading scorer for the Lady Builders with 16 points and five rebounds, while Courtney White added 13 points and Ylexzis Traeger had 10.
- VSU was topped by Jones with 17 points off the bench to lead five in double figures. She was a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor, 3-for-3 from 3-point land and 2-for-2 from the line.
NEXT UP - Juniata College Holiday Tournament
The Lady Builders will participate in the Juniata College Holiday Tournament on December 30 when they face Widener University at 1 pm in Huntingdon, PA.