FINAL SCORE: Widener 71, Apprentice School 61
LOCATION: Huntingdon, PA
EVENT: Juniata Holiday Tournament
RECORDS: Apprentice School 4-6; Widener 5-6
IN BRIEF: Sophomore Courtney White matched her career-high with 18 points as the Apprentice School made a second-half rally, but fell short losing 71-61 to Widener University in the opening round of the Juniata Holiday Tournament on Tuesday.
ON THE COURT
- The Apprentice School held a 7-6 lead on a stickback by White with 15:34 left in the first half. That was the last points for almost the next seven minutes. Widener went on a 19-0 run capped by a 3-point play from Sarah Engman with 8:59 left to lead 25-7. A Bria Hill jumper with 8:47 left put the Lady Builders back on the scoreboard trailing 25-9.
- The Lady Builders got to within 14 points twice, the last being on a Tia Brothers 3-pointer with 5:46 left for a 30-16 deficit. Widener then went on a 12-3 flurry as Allison Gallagher's 3-pointer with 2:11 left put the Pride up 42-19.
- The lead grew to as many as 31 points midway through the second half as Brianna Wylie hit a layup at the 10:31 mark to lead 66-35. Apprentice School made a run holding the Pride to two points over the next eight minutes to trim the deficit to 68-56 on a free throw by Quanisha Bruce with 2:20 left.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- White tied her career-high that she hit in a 70-62 home win over Eastern Mennonite on December 13. With her 18 3-point attempts, White broke the single-game attempts mark held by Taffey Thomas with 17 against N.C. Wesleyan College on Feb. 1, 1997.
- As a team, the Builders attempted 26 3-pointers which is tied for fourth-most all-time in a single game. Against Barber-Scotia on December 5, the Lady Builders attempted 27 3-pointers to fall one shy of the record of 28 done twice.
- Joining White in double figures was Ylexzis Traeger with 15 points and five rebounds and Brothers who chipped in with a career-high 11 points. Johnelle Johnson was the leading rebounder with seven for the Lady Builders.
- Gallagher was the leading scorer for Widener with 22 points, while Wylie had 14 points and 19 rebounds.
UP NEXT - Juniata
The Lady Builders will face the host Juniata College Eagles in the consolation game on Wednesday at noon. Juniata lost 82-66 to Heidelberg College in the other first-round game. This will be second meeting all-time between the schools as The Apprentice School took a 77-74 overtime decision over Juniata on Dec. 11, 2004 in Huntingdon, PA.