FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 80, Briarcliffe 60
USCAA RANKINGS: Apprentice #10, Briarcliffe #13
LOCATION: Island Gardens/W. Hempstead, NY
RECORDS: Apprentice School 6-6; Briarcliffe 4-5
IN BRIEF: Junior Kenya Wilkerson scored 19 points and dished out a career-best 11 assists as the Apprentice School held off a second-half charge from the homestanding Bulldogs and defeated Briarcliffe 80-60 on Friday night.
ON THE COURT
- The Bulldogs opened the game strong as 3-pointers from Shemique Hooks, Kiara Johnson and Judy Pierre in the first 2:30 as Pierre's triple put the hosts up 9-4 with 17:37 left.
- Apprentice School went on an 18-3 run over the next nearly eight minutes as a Jessica Neighbors layup with 9:42 left put the Lady Builders up 24-12 with 9:42 left.
- Briarcliffe trimmed a little off that deficit after a 3-pointer from Kalin Mitchell and a free throw from Hooks brought them to 24-16 with 8:59 left. They kept the deficit in the 8-10 point range as Mitchell hit another 3-pointer with 7:27 left to bring Briarcliffe to 31-21.
- The Lady Builders closed the half on a 21-1 run as a Ylexzis Traeger jumper with 12 seconds left gave the Apprentice School 52-22 lead into halftime. In the second half, the lead grew to 35 points as a Kenya Wilkerson steal and layup with 16:30 left to go ahead 58-23.
- Briarcliffe cut that lead in half over the next 11 minutes as Hooks drained another 3-pointer with 5:36 left as the hosts got to 67-50. Sabrina Guerrier hit a layup for Briarcliffe with 1:50 left to get to 72-58, but that was as close as the hosts got.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Wilkerson topped three in double figures for the Lady Builders with 19 points and a career-best 11 assists. She had nine three previous times as the last was against Berkeley College on Feb. 9, 2014. Her 11 assists is the third highest single-game total in program history, trailing the record of 13 by April Steele on Feb. 9, 2001 and Taffey Thomas on Jan. 16, 1998. Wilkerson nearly came out with a quadruple-double as she had eight rebounds and seven steals.
- Joining her in double figures was Courtney White with 18 points, six rebounds and four steals, while Traeger had 15 points and 11 rebounds.
- Briarcliffe was paced by Hooks with 19 points and 10 rebounds, while Kiara Johnson added 16 points and nine rebounds.
LATEST USCAA POLLS
The latest USCAA Coaches Poll was released prior to tip-off and Apprentice School is currently ranked #10, while Briarcliffe dropped to #13.
NEXT UP - ST. JOSEPH'S COLLEGE-BROOKLYN
The Lady Builders finish a two-game New York swing by taking on St. Joseph's College-Brooklyn on Saturday at 4 pm at Frank P. Carbone court at The Hill Center on the campus of St. Joseph's College. The Lady Bears are currently #7 in the latest USCAA poll. The game will have live stats and video stream with links available on www.gobuilders.com