FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 101, Briarcliffe 54
RECORDS: Apprentice School 8-6; Briarcliffe 4-6
EVENT: 2015 MLK Classic
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Center/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: Freshman Quanisha Bruce had season-highs of 19 points and 15 rebounds to lead four in double figures as the Apprentice School defeated Briarcliffe 101-54 in the opening night of the 2015 Martin Luther King Classic on Friday night.
ON THE COURT
- The Lady Builders opened the game scoring the first seven points as Shanae Hilliard drained a 3-pointer at the 18:46 mark. That advantage grew to 16-5 on a Jessica Neighbors layup with 15:32 left in the half.
- Briarcliffe used a pair of Kiara Johnson free throws and one from Shemique Hooks to trim the margin to 16-8 with 13:47 left.
- Apprentice School used a 12-2 run over the next 6:19 to push the lead to 28-10 a Chauntell Dunbar layup with 7:28 left.
- A free throw from Hooks and a 3-pointer from Johnson helped the Bulldogs cut the deficit to 28-14 with 6:20 left. From there, the Lady Builders closed the half on a 20-5 run to take a 48-19 lead into halftime.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Bruce had a previous season-high of 12 points set in the Lady Builders win over St. Joseph's College-Brooklyn on last Saturday and in the season-opener at Penn State Beaver. Her previous rebounding high was 11 at Briarcliffe last Friday and also against Penn State Beaver.
- Joining her in the double-double club, and setting season-highs in points along with rebounds was freshman Johnelle Johnson who had 11 points and 11 rebounds. Her previous bests were six points against Christopher Newport University and Virginia Union University along with nine rebounds against Penn State Fayette.
- Freshman Ylexzis Traeger was a perfect 7-for-7 from the floor and 4-for-4 from the line for 18 points. Sophomore Jessica Neighbors added 14 points and eight rebounds for the Lady Builders who were 41-of-84 from the floor (48.8%) and out-rebounded Briarcliffe 64-41.
- The Bulldogs were paced by Johnson with 23 points and Hooks with 16. Vikki Castillo was the leading rebounder for Briarcliffe with 12.
The latest USCAA Division I Coaches Poll was released prior to the games on Friday night and both Briarcliffe and The Apprentice School remained in its positions from last week as they sit 13th and 10th respectively.
The Lady Builders return to action on Saturday afternoon at 4pm when they face the high-scoring St. Mary of the Woods Pomeroys. The visitors from Indiana defeated Berkeley College 92-62 in the first game of the classic. Briarcliffe will face Berkeley in the 2pm Saturday opener.