FINAL SCORE: St. Mary Of The Woods 95, Apprentice School 80
RECORDS: Apprentice School 8-7, St. Mary Of The Woods 7-9
EVENT: 2015 MLK Classic
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Center/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: An early 11-point deficit proved too much to overcome as St. Mary Of The Woods outlasted The Apprentice School 95-80 in day two of the 2015 Martin Luther King Classic on Saturday afternoon.
ON THE COURT
- The Builders held a 1-0 lead on a Courtney White free throw 36 seconds into the game, but from there the visiting Pomeroys raced out on a 14-2 run to lead 14-3 on a 3-pointer from Grace Ziegler with 15:55 left.
- St. Mary Of The Woods kept that advantage at the 12:52 mark when Tara Parmer hit a pair of free throws to lead 24-12. The Lady Builders made a run to trim that to 30-26 on a 3-point play from Jessica Neighbors with 9:18 left.
- A 21-4 run by the Pomeroys got the advantage over 20 points as a Sierra Lopez layup with 3:34 left put them up 51-30. Grace Ziegler's 3-point play with 41 seconds left in the half gave the visitors a 58-36 lead into halftime.
- In the second half, the Lady Builders went on a 13-1 run over a 2:02 span to trim a 22-point deficit in half as a steal and layup from Shane Hilliard brought them to 72-61 with 11:58 left. That was as close as they got in the second half.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Hilliard was the leading scorer in the game with a 24-point outing. She was one point off her career high of 25 set at St. Joseph's College-Brooklyn in her sophomore season. She was 10-of-19 from the floor to go with five rebounds, four assists and three steals.
- Freshman Quanisha Bruce recorded another double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds, while sophomore Jessica Neighbors had 12 points and freshman Ylexzis Traeger had 10. Junior Kenya Wilkerson had eight points, eight rebounds and 12 assists.
- The Lady Builders turned the ball over 27 times and were out-rebounded 57-51 in the contest.
- Lopez was the leading scorer for St. Mary Of The Woods with 18 points to lead five in double figures. They hit 13 3-pointers on the night which is the most by a women's team in the year-old Apprentice Athletic Center. St. Mary of the Woods held the mark of 12 in its win over Berkeley on Friday afternoon.
Apprentice School closes out its games in the 2015 MLK Classic on Sunday afternoon at 4 pm against the Knights of Berkeley College.