FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 63, Berkeley College 58
RECORDS: Apprentice School 9-7; Berkeley College 11-5
EVENT: 2015 MLK Classic
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Center/Newport News, VA
IN BRIEF: A two-minute spell of holding the visiting Knights scoreless proved to be the deciding blow as the Lady Builders defeated Berkeley College 63-58 on Sunday afternoon to close out the 2015 MLK Classic.
ON THE COURT
- Apprentice School jumped out quickly to an 11-3 lead at the 15:38 mark on a jumper from Jessica Neighbors. Berkeley worked back into the contest on a 13-4 run over the next 7:07 to lead 16-15 on a Patricia Patterson layup with 8:31 left.
- The teams traded the lead over the next few minutes before the Knights scored 10 of the next 12 points over a 2:25 to lead 28-23 on a Katana Travis jumper with 3:57 left. Apprentice School cut that to one point twice, including a jumper from Quanisha Bruce with nine seconds left as the teams went to half with Berkeley up 32-31.
- In the second half, Berkeley held a three-point lead twice with a 3-pointer from Champagne Hazel with 16:15 left put them up 40-37. They went scoreless for the next 4:39 as Apprentice School took a 43-40 lead on a pair of free throws from Courtney white with 12:26 left.
- Hazel stopped the scoring drought with a layup at the 11:36 mark for the first of four times the Knights got the margin to one point in the final 11:36.
- The Builders got the margin to seven points twice as a Bria Hill layup with 3:59 left gave them a 57-50 advantage. Berkeley scored eight on the next ten points as Hazel hit a jumper with 1:58 left to get within 59-58. Free throws from Ylexzis Traeger and Hill helped ice the victory.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Traeger was the leading scorer for Apprentice School with 16 points and was the lone double figure scorer for the hosts. Bruce, Neighbors and Kenya Wilkerson each added eight points. Courtney White was the leading rebounder with 10, while Bruce added nine and Wilkerson had seven to go with eight assists.
- Berkeley was topped by Hazel with 25 points, five rebounds and five assists. Patterson had 10 points and a game-high 17 rebounds while Janay Thomas had 12 points and six rebounds for the Knights.
- Each team had issues holding onto the ball as Berkeley had 30 turnovers, while the Lady Builders had 23.
The Lady Builders travel to Concord, NC on Thursday to face Barber-Scotia College at 5 pm. These teams met in early December with Apprentice School taking a 74-67 win on December 5.