FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 78, Barber-Scotia 56
RECORDS: Apprentice School 10-7; Barber-Scotia 4-12
LOCATION: Concord, NC
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School used a 15-2 run to start the second half and propel them to a 78-56 victory over Barber-Scotia College on Thursday night in a United States Collegiate Athletic Association matchup.
ON THE COURT
- The Lady Builders jumped out 9-3 as Ylexzis Traeger scored on a layup with 16:18 left in the first half. Traeger had seven of the first nine points for the Lady Builders.
- Barber-Scotia turned a run of its own to take an 18-13 advantage with 11:27 left as Reesheema Caldwell hit a short jumper to cap a 15-4 flurry.
- Apprentice School tied it at 23-all on a Kenya Wilkerson 3-point play with 6:53 left in the half. The score was tied one more time at 30-all on a pair of Ta' Sheona Chestnut free throws with 3:10 left. The Lady Builders finished the half with a small run to take a 38-33 advantage on a pair of Traeger free throws with 1:17 left.
- In the second half, the Lady Builders opened the half on a 15-2 run to take a 53-35 lead on a Wilkerson jumper with 12:07 left. Apprentice School held the Sabers scoreless for a nearly seven minute span to jumpstart their second half run.
- From there, the lead grew to as many as 25 points as Bria Hill hit a free throw with 2:26 left to lead 76-51.
BEHOND THE BOXSCORE
- After being outrebounded 26-18 in the first half, the Lady Builders took control of the glass in the second half as they outrebounded the hosts 40-20.
- Quanisha Bruce had 14 of her season high 18 rebounds in the second half to help lead the rebound aattack.
- Traeger had another double-double with a game-high 21 points and 10 rebounds. Bruce joined the double-double group with 14 points and her 18 rebounds. The 21 points is a season-high for Traeger.
- The double-doubles for Traeger and Bruce were the fourth on the year for each. Bruce has had three in the last four games.
- Wilkerson nearly joined them in double-double land with 20 points, nine rebounds, six steals and four assists. From the foul line Apprentice School was 23-of-28 (82.1%).
- Barber-Scotia was topped by Darrian Bush with 16 points and Lindsay Lee with 13 points and 14 rebounds.
Apprentice School is now off for a week before they visit Washington Adventist University for a USCAA matchup on Thursday, Jan. 29 at 6 pm.