FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 47, Washington Adventist 43
RECORDS: Apprentice School 11-7, Washington Adventist 4-14
LOCATION: The Pitt/Takoma Park, MD
IN BRIEF: The Lady Builders held homestanding Washington Adventist scoreless for the last two minutes as Courtney White hit a pair of free throws with four seconds left to help ice a 47-43 key United States Collegiate Athletic Association road win on Thursday night.
ON THE COURT
- After scoring the first points of the game on a Jessica Neighbors jumper five seconds into the contest, the Lady Builders gave up the next nine points as a Cierra Simms jumper with 13:15 left put them down 9-2.
- Following a 3-pointer from Shanae Hilliard with 12:37 left, Courtney Jenkins put the Shock back up nine scoring five straight points capped by her own 3-pointer with 11:53 left to lead 14-5.
- The Lady Builders cut the defict to two points twice, the last being on a Hilliard free throw with 46 seconds left in the half to trail 23-21.
- In the second half, the Lady Builders trailed 30-23 with 17:01 left as a jumper from Jerria Brown-McDaniel. Apprentice School went on a 9-0 flurry over the next nearly four minutes as a 3-point play from Kenya Wilkerson with 13:09 left put them up 32-30.
- Two Wilkerson free throws with 11:33 left gave the guests a 34-32 lead before WAU went on an 8-0 run to go up 40-34 with 7:57 left on a Jenkins layup.
- Wilkerson struck again from the line with a pair of makes with 3:07 remaining to tie the game at 41-all. Following a Brown-McDaniel jumper with 2:05 left for the hosts final lead at 43-41, Wilkerson hit a jumper in the lane with 1:25 on the clock to tie the game again at 43-all.
- Ylexzis Traeger drained a short jumper with 38 seconds left to put the guests up 45-43. Courtney White grabbed her team-high tenth, and most important, rebound withnine seconds left following a missed jumper from Natalie Harrison and drained two free throws with four seconds left for the final score.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The 47 points in a win matches the lowest point total in a victory by the Lady Builders in the 20-year history of the program. In ironically the first win ever for the Lady Builders, they defeated Chowan 47-34 on Dec. 9, 1995.
- Wilkerson was the leading scorer in the game with 16 points and eight rebounds for the Lady Builders. Hilliard added 13 points and five boards, while Traeger had 11 points and six rebounds for the victors.
- Neither team shot above 30% from the floor as Apprentice School hit 14-of-69 (20.3%) and Washington Adventist was 15-of-52 (28.8%). The Lady Builders did force 29 turnovers and have 17 steals.
- The Shock were topped by Brown-McDaniel and Jenkins with 12 points each. Jenkins added a game-high 13 boards and three blocked shots.
- The win for the Lady Builders raised their all-time mark against Washington Adventist to 14-0.
- Washington Adventist is a member of both the USCAA and just joined the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Division I this season.
The next-to-last home game of the year for the Lady Builders will take place on Saturday at 2 pm when they face another USCAA/NAIA-D1 member in West Virginia University Institute of Technology. This will be the first-ever meeting between the schools and the first of two meetings this year with the teams closing out the regular season in Montgomery, WV on March 1.