FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 91, Central Penn 52
EVENT: Chesson Classic
LOCATION: Mid-Atlantic Christian University/Elizabeth City, NC
RECORDS: Apprentice School 13-9; Central Penn 3-19
IN BRIEF: Sophomore Courtney White scored a career-high 27 points to lead four in double figures on Friday night as the Lady Builders defeated Central Penn College 91-52 in the opening round of the Chesson Classic in Elizabeth City, NC.
ON THE COURT
- The first eight minutes saw the Lady Builders take a three-point advantage twice before the Knights responded and took their first lead on a Marlin Sanchez jumper with 15:27 left to lead 12-11.
- A three-point play from Johnelle Johnson put the Lady Builders up 14-12 just nine seconds later, but Central Penn's Janay Nelson hit a pair of jumpers to put the Knights up 16-14 with 13:45 remaining in the half.
- After a pair of Shanae Hilliard layups, Nicole Schmidhammer's jumper with 11:43 left tied the game for the final time at 18-all.
- Apprentice School then went on a 22-5 run over the next 8:22 as a Tia Brothers 3-pointer put the Lady Builders up 40-23 with 3:19 left in the half.
- Central Penn used layups from Schmidhammer and Sanchez to trim the margin to 40-27 at the 2:33 mark, but the Lady Builders closed the half on a 12-3 run to take a 52-30 lead into halftime.
- In the second half, the Knights trimmed the margin to 19 points on two occasions early with a Myeshia McGee jumper at the 17:52 mark bringing them to 54-35. That was as close as the score got in the second half.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- White scored her career-best 27 points going 11-for-20 from the floor and was 4-of-7 from 3-point range. She also recorded her first double-double of the year hauling in 10 rebounds.
- Joining her in the double-double club was Jessica Neighbors (14 pts-11 reb) and Kenya Wilkerson (12 pts-10 reb, 6 steals). Hilliard just missed joining them with 10 points and nine rebounds.
- Freshman Quanisha Bruce was the leading rebounder for the Lady Builders with 13 rebounds in 19 minutes of action.
- Apprentice School was 38-of-98 from the floor (38.8%), 5-of-15 from 3-point range (33.3%) and 10-of-18 from the line (55.6%). The 98 attempts is the third most in a game in school history and the most in a game since they shot 103 times against Christendom in 1999.
- The Lady Builders set a school record with 81 rebounds in the game as they out-rebounded the Knights 81-44. It was the first time that the Lady Builders had four players with 10 or more rebounds in a game since Nov. 29, 2008 when LaTorya Grimes (17), Tamara Davis (14), Shameka Warren (11) and Rahshann Lewter (10) pulled the feat against College of Notre Dame.
- Central Penn was paced by Schmidhammer with 23 points and 18 rebounds to lead three in double figures.
The Lady Builders will face Christendom in the finals of the Chesson Classic at 11 am on the campus of Mid-Atlantic Christian University in Elizabeth City, NC. The game time was moved up to help teams head home before more wintry weather hits the Mid-Atlantic region.