FINAL SCORE: WVU Tech 94, Apprentice School 64
RECORDS: WVU Tech 16-14; Apprentice School 14-10
LOCATION: Baisi Athletic Center/Montgomery, WV
IN BRIEF: An early 12-0 deficit proved too much to overcome as the Apprentice School Lady Builders dropped their regular season finale 94-64 to West Virginia University Tech on Sunday afternoon on the road.
ON THE COURT
- The host Golden Bears raced out to a 12-0 lead in the first three minutes as a Cheyanna Lusk jumper at the 17:01 mark put the hosts up 12-0.
- Apprentice School got on the scoreboard courtesy of a pair of 3-pointers from sophomore Courtney White as her second one got the guests to 16-6 with 15:58 left in the half.
- That second triple from White seemed to put a spark into the Lady Builders as they went on an 8-2 run as a Johnelle Johnson jumper with 12:20 left pulled them to 18-14.
- A steal from Shanae Hilliard found Bria Hill for a layup that got the Lady Builders to within a point at 22-21 with 8:43 left. That was as close as the Apprentice School got in the contest.
- WVU Tech responded with a 16-4 run over the next 5:01 as a Lusk jumper gave the Golden Bears a 38-25 lead.
- Ylexzis Traeger hit a jumper for the Lady Builders with 1:54 left to trim the deficit to 40-33. WVU Tech closed the half scoring six of the last seven points as a pair of Nia Nolan free throws with 11 seconds left to take a 46-34 lead into the locker room at halftime.
- In the second half, Traeger scored the first four points with a jumper at 18:25 mark pulled them to 49-38. Cierra Mobley capped off a 9-0 run from the hosts to take a 58-38 lead with 16:34 left. Kenya Wilkerson scored the next seven points, but the lead stayed in the 20-point range as her jumper with 14 minutes left put the score at 65-45.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Traeger was the leading scorer for the Lady Builders with 16 points and seven rebounds, while Wilkerson added 14 points and five boards. Apprentice School shot 20-of-76 (26.3%) from the floor and was 21-of-34 from the line (61.8%).
- WVU Tech was topped by Nolan with 25 points, eight assists and five rebounds to lead four in double figures. Lusk followed her with 18 points and 11 boards. The hosts were 40-of-93 (43%) from the floor and 8-of-13 from the line (61.5%). They out-rebounded the Lady Builders 72-47.
The Lady Builders start action at the 2015 United States Collegiate Athletic Association Division I National Championships on Wednesday at noon as they'll face Daemen College (NY) .