FINAL SCORE: Carlow 61, Apprentice School 52
RECORDS: Carlow 3-0, Apprentice School 0-1
LOCATION: Penn State Beaver Fieldhouse/Monaca, Pa.
ON THE COURT
- Ylexzis Traeger scored in the opening 30 seconds to put the Lady Builders up 2-0, but the Celtics responded with a Lynzi Mueller 3-pointer to start a 13-0 run. White connected on a three-point shot, but Carlow would end the first quarter in control 19-10.
- In the second quarter, the Lady Builders chipped away at the lead as a Quanisha Bruce free throw at 5:41 made it 18-24. Carlow responded with an 11-4 run to take a 35-22 advantage into the break.
- The Celtics would extend their lead to 14 points in the third quarter as Mueller's 2:49 jump shot made it 45-31. Wilkerson would then sink both of her free throw attempts, but the Celtics would make 4 of their own to take a 49-33 lead with 10 minutes remaining in the game.
- White added 6 points in the final quarter and Wilkerson 5 points as the Lady Builders outscored the Celtics 19-12, but Carlow's lead proved to be too much. Hayley Marshall's three-pointer at the 3:27 mark brought the Apprentice School to within 9 points (45-54), but a 7-3 run by the Celtics gave Carlow a 13-point lead with 1:10 on the clock. Wilkerson would make her free throw and White added a three-pointer with :10 left in the game for the final score.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- White led the Lady Builders with 14 points on 5-of-14 shooting, with four of her shots coming from beyond the arc. Wilkerson added 11 points, shooting 4-of-10 from the field and 3-for-6 from the free-throw line. Wilkerson was also one assist short of a double-double with 9.
- The Lady Builders shot 30% (18-of-60) from the floor, 22.7% (5-of-22) from three-point range, and 47.4% (9-of-19) from the free-throw line.
- The Apprentice School led in assists (13-5) and committed fewer turnovers (16-26) than Carlow. The Lady Builders scored 18 points off of turnovers, compared to just 10 for the Celtics.
- The Lady Builders scored 29 points off of the bench, compared to just 12 for the Celtics.
The Lady Builders will play again Sunday at 3 p.m. as they square off against the host Lady Lions. PSU-Beaver is 0-2 after losing to Point Park (Pa.) 102-71 on November 10th and falling to Maine-Fort Kent 109-82 in the opening round of the tournament yesterday. Junior forward Asia Borders and senior guard Khalia Adams are averaging 23 points per game to lead the team.
The teams met at the start of last season, an 81-72 Builder win on November 15th. The Apprentice School had five players reach double-digit scoring and is returning four of them. Wilkerson netted 15 points in last year's matchup, followed by White with 13 points, Bruce with 12 points, and Jessica Neighbors with 11 ppoints. Bruce added 11 rebounds to earn the double-double.