FINAL SCORE: Marywood 51, Apprentice School 49
RECORDS: Marywood 1-1, Apprentice School 1-3
LOCATION: Sea Gull Stadium/Salisbury, Md.
IN BRIEF: The Lady Builders found themselves up 41-33 heading into the final quarter, but a 14-0 run by the Pacers allows Marywood to get the comeback victory.
ON THE COURT
- The Pacers opened the game with a 7-0 run, but the Lady Builders would get back into the game. Down 12-8, Courtney White made a 3-pointer with 1:19 remaining in the opening quarter. Each team turned the ball over, but neither team could score and Marywood took the one-point lead into the second quarter.
- Ylexzis Traeger put the Lady Builders early in the second with a 3-pointer at the 9:32 mark. The Pacers then scored 6 points in a row, but Hayley Marshall's 3-pointer at 8:01 made it a one-point game again.
- After trading the lead several times, the Pacers tied things up at 22-22 with 3:50 to play before the break. Another Marshall 3-pointer at 3:40 ignited a 6-0 run for the Lady Builders. Marywood's Kylie Devlin scored with :59 to play, cutting the Apprentice lead to 28-24, but Marshall would hit her third 3-pointer of the game with :06 remaining. Marshall's 9 points helped the Apprentice School outscore Marywood 20-12 in the second quarter and take a 31-24 lead into the locker room.
- The Lady Builders outscored the Pacers 10-9 in the third quarter. A Rory Jordan free throw with :47 on the clock cut the Apprentice lead to 37-33, but Julissa Riddick and Kenya Wilkerson each scored to put the Lady Builders up 41-33 heading into the final 10 minutes.
- The Pacers defense frustrated the Lady Builders in the final quarter, holding them to just 8 points and forcing 7 turnovers. Marywood retook the lead with 1:54 remaining as Jordan's layup capped off a 14-0 run.
- Down 49-45, the Apprentice had the opportunity to tie things up as Traeger and Quanisha Bruce each went to the line. Each would shoot 1-for-2, though, and a another Pacer basket at :34 again pushed Marywood's lead to four.
- With:01 to play, Riddick would get a chance at a 3-point play as she stole the ball and scored, her basket counting as she was fouled on the play. Riddick would miss the free throw attempt and with too little time on the clock, Marywood would get the comeback victory.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Marshall scored 9 points, all from 3-pointers, to lead the Lady Builders in the loss. Riddick was a basket shy of a double-double as she pulled down 17 boards and 8 points.
- The Apprentice School shot 28.6% (20-of-70) from the field, 22.7% (5-of-22) from beyond the arc, and 50% (4-of-8) from the free-throw line.
- The Lady Builders outrebounded their oppnents (50-43) and had more points off of the bench (30-18).
- The game featured two ties and six lead changes.
The Lady Builders play again Saturday as they square off againt the Methodist University (N.C.) Monarchs at 1 p.m. The Monarchs lost to the host Seagulls in overtime, 71-68.