FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 86, Warren Wilson 77
RECORDS: Apprentice School 2-4, Warren Wilson 6-6
LOCATION: Devries Gymnasium/Swannanoa, N.C.
IN BRIEF: The Lady Builders were in control for most of the game, but a 30-point third quarter by the Owls allowed them to get back into it. The Apprentice School held off the rally, though, and earned their second win of the season.
ON THE COURT
- Julissa Riddick opened the scoring with a jump shot, but the Owls responded with their own jumper to tie things up early. The teams traded baskets again as Ylexzis Traeger scored and Danasia Dumas made both of her free throws for Warren Wilson.
- Kenya Wilkerson then got a hot hand and helped create some separation as she paced the Lady Builders in the opening quarter with 14 points. Wilkerson earned a 3-point play the old-fashioned way and then followed with back-to-back scores to push the lead to 11-6.
- The Lady Builders were up 21-11 late in the first quarter when Dumas made a 3-pointer for the Owls. Wilkerson added her sixth field goal, though, and the Apprentice School took a 23-14 advantage into the second.
- Courtney White netted a pair of long-range shots in the second. The first pushed the Builder lead to 10 (34-24, 5:53) and the second was an answer to a 3-pointer from Dumas two minutes later (41-27, 3:22). Huch would add another 3-pointer for the Owls, but the Apprentice School would respond yet again, this time with a 3-pointer from Wilkerson. White would add a basket and the Lady Builders would head into the locker room up 46-30.
- The Owls came back determined in the 3rd, shooting a perfect 5-5 from beyond the arc and outscoring the Lady Builders 30-18. Jada McCrimmon was near perfect for Warren Wilson, only missing a free throw while pacing the Owls in the quarter with 10 points.
- A Dumas 3-pointer kicked off an 11-0 run by the Owls, trimming the Apprentice School lead to 54-46. After another old-fashion 3-point play by Wilkerson and a jumper from Jessica Neighbors, Warrwen Wilson used an 8-0 run to cut the lead to 59-54.
- Chauntell Dunbar took notes from Wilkerson with a bucket and a successful follow-up free throw. Bria Hill also went to line and would make both of her attempts to push the lead back to 10, 64-54. The Owls weren't done though. Huch would make both of her shots from the charity stripe and a pair of late buckets made it 64-60 going into the final quarter.
- The Owls made things interesting early in the 4th as they cut the Builder lead to 67-65, but 3-point plays by Neighbors and Traeger helped the Apprentice School push its lead back to 10 (77-67, 8:33).
- A 6-0 run by the Owls cut the score down to 79-77, but the Apprentice School would close te game out with a 7-0 run. Traeger made a jumper to make it 81-77 and the Owls proceeded to send multiple Lady Builders to the free-throw line.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Three Lady Builders were close to recording double-doubles: Wilkerson led the team with 29 points and added 9 rebounds, Traeger followed with 19 points and 9 rebounds, and Neighbors netted 9 points with 10 rebounds. White came off the bench to score 12 points and led the team with 4 steals.
- The Apprentice School shot 44.2% (34-of-77) from the field, 27.3% (3-of-11) from beyond the arc, and 60% (15-of-25) at the free-throw line.
- The Lady Builders outrebounded the Owls 42-35 and led in assists (16-10), committed fewer turnovers (14-17), points off turnovers (22-14), 2nd chance points (13-7), and points in the paint (8-2).
- The Apprentice School scored 25 points off the bench, with Warren Wilson's bench scoring 18.
- The game featured 2 ties and no lead changes.
The Lady Builders return home next Tuesday, December 8th, as they host Washington Adventist University (Md.) for a 6 p.m. contest. The Schock are 4-4 and have lost three straight as they fell to Point Park University (Pa.) 72-64 on December 3rd.
Fans attending the game can park on the 3rd deck of the parking garage located on the corner of 31st Street and West Avenue adjacent to the south side of the Apprentice School. Parking attendants will be located on the west side of the garage as well as around the perimeter of the school. Additional directional signage will be in place to lead you to the garage.
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Builder news, scores, and game results.