FINAL SCORE: West Virginia Tech 76, Apprentice School 60
RECORDS: West Virginia Tech 5-7, Apprenrice School 3-7
LOCATION: Neal Baisi Athletic Center Gymnasium/Montgomery, W.Va.
IN BRIEF: West Virginia Tech was in control for most of the game as four Golden Bears reached double-digit scoring. The Apprentice School couldn't get back into the game as West Virginia Tech led by as many as 19 late.
ON THE COURT
- The Golden Bears opened the game with a 6-0 run, but a Hayley Marshall 3-pointer kicked off a 7-0 response by the Lady Builders, capped off by a pair of Jessica Neighbors free throws. West Virginia Tech then took back control with a 9-0 run to pull ahead 15-7 at the 3:54 mark.
- Back-to-back jumpers from Ylexzis Traeger and Courtney White cut the lead to 15-11, but Savannah Shamblin answered with a jumper and a layup. Marshall wrapped up the scoring in the opening quarter with a deep ball at :49. The 3-pointer made it a 19-14 Golden Bear lead heading into the second quarter.
- Shamblin started off the second with a 3-pointer. Breanna Propst followed with a layup to push the score to 24-14. Traeger then drained a 3-pointer of her own, but Propst made another pair of layups to keep some distance.
- The Lady Builders cut the lead to 35-32 at the 3:28 mark with a pair of jumpers by Traeger and Julissa Riddick. West Virginia Tech then made a pair of scores before White's jumper at 2:24. Julie Conway's jumper with :32 remaining put the Golden Bears up 41-34 at the break.
- Kenya Wilkerson started the third quarter with a basket at 9:03. After Shamlbin made a free-throw and Alexandra Combs got a layup to fall, Traeger cut the score to 44-38 with a jumper at 6:38.
- A 5-0 run by the Golden Bears created some more separation. A Neighbors layup at 3:09 made it 49-40, but West Virginia Tech scored another two baskets to head into the final quarter in control 53-40.
- White hit a 3-pointer to start the fourth quarter (53-43, 9:36). Brett Justice and Propst followed with a pair of scores for West Virginia Tech, but White made a pair of free-throws at 8:20 to cut the Golden Bear lead back to 57-45.
- Another run by West Virginia Tech, this time for 7 points, gave the Golden Bears a 64-45 advantage with 6:43 to play. Marshall answered with back-to-back 3-pointers, but with 5:44 to play, the Golden Bear lead was too much.
- Despite 3-pointers by Quanisha Bruce and Bria Hill, West Virginia Tech was too far ahead with too little on the clock. Marshall would make both of her free-throws at :46, but Justice's layup made it 76-60 with :39 left in the game. The Lady Builders had a couple looks from beyond the arc, but couldn't get either shot to fall.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Traeger and Marshall paced the Lady Builders with 15 and 14 points, respectively. White netted 9 points and Neighbors added 7 points. Riddick led the team on the glass with 7 rebounds.
- The Apprentice School shot 34.4% (22-of-64) from the field, 29.6% (8-of-27) from beyond the arc, and 66.7% (8-of-12) from the free-throw line.
- Both teams scored 23 points off of turnovers. West Virginia Tech outrebounded the Apprentice School 43-38 and just edged out the Lady Builders 8-7 in second-chance points.
- The Apprentice School scored 19 points off the bench, compared to 21 points by West Virginia Tech's bench.
- The game featured one tie and two lead changes.
The Lady Builders conclude December at the Bluefield State (W.Va.) Tournament, starting with a 4 p.m. game against Glenville State (W.Va.) on Friday. The Lady Pioneers (7-2) have won three straight and are coming off a 96-44 win over the host Lady Blues on Thursday.
Remember to folluw us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Builders news, scores, and updates.