FINAL SCORE: Glenville State 95, Apprentice School 68
RECORDS: Glenville State 8-2, Apprentice School 3-8
LOCATION: Ned E. Shott Physical Education Building Gymnasium/Bluefield, W.Va.
IN BRIEF: Glenville State was in control for most of the game and was hot from beyond the arc, making 14 3-pointers to pull away from the Lady Builders.
ON THE COURT
- Courtney White opened the scoring with a 3-pointer early, but Glenville State answered with a deep ball of its own. After a pair of Ylexzis Traeger free throws gave the Lady Builders a 5-3 lead, Sky Lewis made three free-throws to put the Lady Pioneers back on top 6-5.
- Traeger's layup at 8:43 in the first quarter would give the Apprentice School its last lead of the game, 7-6. Glenville State then scored 11 unanswered points to take control of the game, a Brittany Jackson 3-pointer at 6:56 capping off the run.
- A Traeger jumper kicked off a 7-1 response by the Lady Builders to pull within 18-14, but the Lady Pioneers converted three free-throws and made another 3-pointer to pull away. A Kenya Wilkerson basket closed out the opening quarter, the Apprentice School trailing Glenvillle State 24-16.
- The Lady Pioneers started the second quarter with a pair of 3-pointers and a layup. Tyne Innocent hit a jumper and Hayley Marshall followed with a 3-pointer, but Glenville State answered Marshall's 3-ball with one of their own.
- White made a layup with 2:02 to play in the opening half, cutting the Glenville State lead to 46-31. The Lady Pioneers would close out the half with four free-throws to head into the locker rooms up 50-31.
- Glenville State continued to pull away in the third quarter, using a pair of 6-0 runs to take a 62-34 lead at the 5:18 mark. A pair of free throws and a jumper from Jessica Neighbors started a 6-0 response by the Apprentice School, capped off by a Quanisha Bruce free throw. The Lady Pioneers would continue to extend their lead, however, and took a 76-50 advantage into the final 10 minutes.
- The Lady Builders opened the final quarter with a 7-0 run, with a Traeger layup at 7:58 making it 76-57. After a Glenville State 3-pointer, Neighbors made a free throw at 5:17. The Lady Pioneer defense then held the Lady Builders scoreless for over 3 minutes as Glenville State went on an 11-0 run. A Bruce layup at 1:56 halted the run, but a 3-pointer from Lewis at the 1:49 mark gave the Lady Pioneers their largest lead, 93-60.
- Chauntell Dunbar would make both of her free-throw attempts with 1:16 to play. She would then follow with a layup at 1:10. The Apprentice School defense forced a Glenville State turnover and Neighbors made a layup with 1:00 remaining to make it 93-66. The Lady Pioneers would score a jumper and Bruce would make a free-throw to wrap up the game.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Traeger led the Lady Builders in the loss with 19 points and was two rebounds shy of a double-double with 8. Bruce was also close to a double-double performance with 12 points and 9 boards. Dunbar and Neighbors each netted 8 points.
- The Apprentice School shot 28.9% (22-of-76) from the field, 20% (2-of-10) from beyond the arc, and 63.6% (21-of-33) from the free-throw line.
- Both teams scored 22 points in the paint. Glenville State led in rebounds (69-60), assists (20-6), points off turnovers (31-13), second-chance points (20-15), and committed fewer turnovers (16-24).
- The Lady Builders scored 31 points off the bench, compared to 60 bench points for the Lady Pioneers.
- The game featured two ties and three lead changes.
The Lady Builders play again Saturday, December 19th as they square off against the host Bluefield State (W.Va.) for a 2 p.m. contest. The Lady Blues opened their tournament with a 96-44 loss to Glenville State (W.Va.) and are 1-10 on the season.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Builder news, scores, and updates.