FINAL SCORE: Bridgewater 85, Apprentice School 65
RECORDS: Bridgewater 5-5, Apprentice School 4-9
LOCATION: Apprentice Athletic Facility Gymnasium/Newport News, Va.
IN BRIEF: The visiting Eagles jumped ahead quick, scoring 31 points in the opening quarter to take control. Ylexzis Traeger netted 18 points to lead the Apprentice School, but it wasn't enough as the Lady Builders couldn't get back into the game.
ON THE COURT
- After an Eagle layup to open the scoring, Hayley Marshall answered with a 3-pointer. Bridgewater then responded with a deep ball of their own to take a 5-3 advantage, but Courtney White's layup at the 8:09 mark knotted the score at 5-5.
- A 7-0 run by the Eagles put them in control, capped off withby a Jessi Strom 3-pointer. Traeger earned a 3-point play the old-fashioned way to pull within 12-8, but Bridgewater connected again from beyond the arc with 6:03 in the opening quarter.
- With 13 points, Jessica Lam helped the Eagles to a quick start as they scored 31 points to start the game. Lam hit three free throws to extend the Bridgewater lead to 29-16. Traeger then went to the line and made both of her attempts before a late Brianna Moore jumper made it 31-18.
- The Apprentice School started the second quarter with a 6-0 run as Traeger made back-to-back shots and Kenya Wilkerson dropped a layup. Unfortunately, the Lady Builders wouldn't be able to get any closer. A Bridgewater layup at the 6:07 mark pushed the Eagles' lead to 38-25. White then hit a 3-pointer, but Lam answered with one of her own.
- A layup by Moore gave the Eagles a 45-30 advantage with 2:30 remaining in the opening half. Traeger got a layup to fall, but Bridgewater made another pair to go into the break up 49-32.
- Bridgewater went off on another run in the third quarter, this time scoring 8 unanswered points, to extend its lead to 59-39. The team then used a 6-0 run towards the end of the quarter to pull ahead 67-44. Quanisha Bruce and Moore traded layups as the Lady Builders entered the final quarter down 69-46.
- Jessalyn Monday scored a quick basket for Bridgewater in the fourth, but the Apprentice School decided it was time for a 7-0 run with baskets by Jessica Neighbors and Kelsey Daniels and free throws from Chauntel Dunbar, cutting the Eagle lead to 71-53 with 7:53 left to play.
- A pair of Kaitlyn Lehan buckets put Bridgewater ahead 79-55 with 4:21 on the clock. The Lady Builders then used a 6-0 run, powered by effective free-throw shooting, to cut the lead to 79-61.
- In the final three minutes of play, Dunbar and Daniels each scored for the Lady Builders, but the Eagles took advantage of their trips to the charity stripe with six free-throws to round out the scoring.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Traeger paced the Apprentice School in the loss with 18 points, followed by White with 10 points, Wilkerson with 8 points, and Daniels with 7 points. Tyne Innocent pulled down 7 rebounds to lead the team on the glass.
- The Lady Builders shot 32.4% (23-of-71) from the field, 20% (3-of-15) from beyond the arc, and 55.2% (16-of-29) from the charity stripe.
- The Apprentice School led in points off turnovers (20-17), fastbreak points (6-4), and committed fewer turnovers (18-25).
- The Lady Builders scored 42 points off the bench, compared to 21 bench points for the Eagles.
- The game featured one tie and two lead changes.
The Lady Builders play again on Monday, January 4th, as they host Fayetteville State University (N.C.) for a 5 pm contest. The Lady Broncos (7-6) are coming off a 55-41 loss at Wingate University (N.C.) on December 30th.
Fans attending the game are reminded that parking is available on the 3rd deck of the parking garage located on the corner of 31st Street and West Avenue, adjacent to the south side of the Apprentice School. Parking attendants will be located on the west side of the garage as well as around the perimeter of the school. Additional directional signage will be in place to lead you to the garage.
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest Builder news, scores, and updates.