EVENT: NCWA Nationals
LOCATION: Allen Event Center/Allen, TX
STANDING: 8th out of 29
IN BRIEF: Junior Ian Jones went 2-1 on Saturday to finish in fourth place earning his third straight National Collegiate Wrestling Association All-American honor as the Builders finished eighth in the 29-team Division I event.
ON THE MAT
- Jones started Saturday with a potential three matches to get to third place and opened with a win by fall in 3:11 over Greydon Pavlik of Bowling Green University in the consolation quarterfinals.
- In the semifinals, he faced Dean Lusk of Penn St. New Kensington. These two faced off in the Waynesburg Invitational with Lusk winning by fall, this time it was reversed as Jones recorded a 6-1 decision.
- For third place, he took on Donald Shovestull of Navy Prep for the second time in the event. Jones fell 1-0 in the quarterfinals on Friday and took a 2-1 loss to Shovestull on Saturday to finish in fourth place.
- Grand Canyon University won the event with 254.5 points, followed by Liberty University (171.5) and Shorter University (162.5) rounded out the top three teams.
- For the year he finished with a 42-9 record after going 5-2 in the tournament.
- Through three years, Jones has a career record of 115-28.
- He earned the 81st NCWA All-American honor for the Builders since they joined the association in 1999.
- Jones is now one of seven Builders to have won at least three NCWA All-American honors.
- The Builders still have only finished outside of the top ten once in 15 NCWA National appearances.