EVENT: New Standard Corporation Invitational
LOCATION: York College/York, PA
IN BRIEF: Senior Ian Jones went 2-2 to finish sixth at heavyweight as the lone place finisher for the Builders on Saturday as they finished 14th in the loaded New Standard Corporation Invitational at York College (PA).
ON THE MAT
- Jones, who was the third-seed in the event, won his first match 7-0 over Cody Dooley of York College and then advanced to the semifinals with a win by fall in 4:00 over Phil Kelly of Johnson & Wales (RI). He lost to Mark Howard of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in 6:06 and then the consolation semifinal to Mike Spencer of York College 4-2.
- Junior Josh Rodriguez was one match from placing in the top six as he went 2-2 at 197 pounds. He opened with an 11-7 win over Anthony Brooks of Williams College before falling to eventual third-place finisher Phil Azzari of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy 9-4. In his first consolation round match he won 5-4 over Andrew Cavanna of Johnson & Wales before losing to eventual fourth-place finisher Gregg DuVall of Ithaca 8-6.
- Sophomore Ty Watkins made a deep run through the 149-pound bracket but came up one match from a top six place finish going 4-2 on the day. Two of those wins came by fall starting with one in 2:25 over Alex Nicosia of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and in 52 seconds over Mike Giorgio of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
- Junior Chris Kennedy was 1-2 at 157 pounds as he won his opening round match by fall in 3:46 over Mike Lammer of Elizabethtown. Three other Builders went 0-2 on the day.
BEHIND THE RESULTS
- In a tournament that saw six of the 14 teams ranked in the National Wrestling Coaches Association Division III Top 30, fourth-ranked Delaware Valley College won the event with 135.5 points, followed by Ithaca College (120) and the host York College with 115.
- This marked the second time that Jones has placed in this event as he came in third in 2012.
The Builders close out the 2014 portion of their schedule with another annual trip to Baltimore, Md. for the University of Maryland Baltimore County Retriever Duals on Friday, Dec. 12 starting at 6 pm.