EVENT: NCWA Nationals
LOCATION: Allen, Texas
IN BRIEF: Senior heavyweight Ian Jones locked up his fourth National Collegiate Wrestling Association All-American honor by advancing to the semifinals on Friday as the Builders sit ninth in the NCWA National Championships.
ON THE MAT
- Jones and Patrik Foxworth were the lone two Builders alive in the quarterfinals. The senior heavyweight clinched his fourth All-American honor with a 5-1 win over Theo Agbi of Amherst College. In the semifinals, Jones face second-seeded Glenn Geurink of Davenport College and fell victim 7-2.
- He will need one win to make it to the third place match on Saturday which will match his best finish as he was third in 2013 as a sophomore.
- Foxworth was not as fortunate as he lost in his quarterfinal match to the fourth-seed Clay Kocsis of Penn State Mont Alto 10-8 and then lost his consolation match to third-seeded Frankie McKeown of the University of Alabama 12-7.
- The remaining wrestlers were fighting back through the consolation brackets and fell short of their three wins needed on Friday to make it to the All-American rounds on Saturday. Jacob Michael (125) scored two wins by fall, but lost the deciding match 5-4 to finish one win from All-American honors. Philip Porto (174) and Josh Rodriguez (197) each went 1-1, while Shakeem Lassiter (235) lost his first match Friday.
BEHIND THE MAT
- Jones becomes the third Builder wrestler to earn four NCWA All-American awards. He joins current assistant coach Marcus Chevres (2009-2012) and heavyweight Cecil Lee (2005-07, 2009).