EVENT: NCWA NATIONALS
LOCATION: Allen, Texas
IN BRIEF: Apprentice School senior heavyweight Ian Jones took fourth place and became the third four-time National Collegiate Wrestling Association All-American in school history on Saturday as the Builders finished seventh.
ON THE MAT
- Jones had two matches on Saturday and started in the consolation semifinals with a 4-3 win over Dave Stratton of Washington State University to make it to the third-place match.
- In that match he faced Theo Agbi of Amherst College who he already defeated 5-1 in the quarterfinals on Friday. Jones forced overtime with a late flurry being down 2-0, then forced sudden victory with another late flurry to tie the match at 4-all.
- Agbi got a taketown early in the sudden victory period to defeat Jones 6-4 and put him fourth in the heavyweight bracket.
FINAL NUMBERS ON JONES
- For his career he finished with a 156-37 record after going 4-2 in the tournament.
- The fourth place finish matched his spot in the 2014 NCWA Nationals as he finished seventh, third, fourth and fourth in his four visits to the nationals.
- Jones joins current assistant coach Marcus Chevres and former heavyweight Cecil Lee as the only Apprentice School four-time NCWA NAll-Americans.
For the 15th time in 16 trips to the NCWA Nationals, the Builders finished in the top ten as they were seventh in the Division I event.