ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. – Marion Moore scored a career-high 37 points to lead the Apprentice School men's basketball team to a 80-68 victory over Southern Virginia in the Roger Taylor Invitational on Saturday afternoon.
ON THE COURT:
Coming off a tough loss to tournament host NC Wesleyan the day before, the Builders were led by Marion Moore's 17 first-half points to take a ten-point lead at the break. The Builders led in the first half before Southern Virginia took its only lead of the game at the 12:52 mark after a three-pointer put them ahead 14-12. Drew Walton and Marion Moore converted layups to sandwich Sam Morris' three-pointer for a quick 7-0 run to put the Builders ahead 19-14. After a timeout, the Builders outscored the Knights the rest of the way. The Apprentice School shot 45% from the field in the first half. The Builders continued to put pressure on the Knights in the second half and at one point in late in the half, the Builders had a 16 point lead. Marion Moore scored 20 of his 37 points in the second half on 8-for-10 shooting from the floor.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- Marion Moore scored 37 points, which was the most a Builder has scored in a game since Romello Anderson scored 40 points against Carolina Christian last season. Moore also added seven boards and was named to the Roger Taylor Invitational All-Tournament Team.
- A day after a streak of four consecutive double-doubles was broken, Drew Walton restarted the streak with another double-double. He scored 11 points and had 10 rebounds.
- Miles Barrett came off the bench and added 14 points and Bryant Fuller contributed 11 points.
- The Builders shot 49% from the field in the game.
- The Builders also had an edge in the paint, scoring 34 points to Southern Virginia's 30 points.
The Builders will be back in action on Saturday, December 8th as they face Bluefield State as part of a doubleheader with the women's basketball team. The women's basketball team will also face Bluefield State at 2 p.m. with the men's team taking on the Big Blues at 4 p.m. The team comes into the matchup with a 3-5 record and has dropped the previous two games.