NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Brandon Joyner hit a couple late three-pointers and the Builders clinched the game from the free-throw line to slide by Mid-Atlantic Christian 79-71 on Wednesday night.
ON THE COURT:
After a back and forth first half, the Builders led for most of the second half and saw their biggest lead see 10 points in the middle of the half. The Mustangs used a pair of three-pointers and a converted three-point play to retake the lead 60-58 late in the half. After the teams traded points, Brandon Joyner sank a three pointer on a fast break to give the Builders a 67-65 lead. After a layup by MACU's Aaron Scott tied the game, Drew Walton scored a layup to put the Builders back on top by two. After a Mustangs free throw cut the lead to one, Brandon Joyner sank another three, this time from the corner to put the Builders up four. From there, the Builders showed success from the free throw line to clinch the game.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- The Builders had four players score in double figures with Marion Moore leading the team with 25 points. He added 9 rebounds and was a perfect 5-for-5 from the free throw line.
- Drew Walton demonstrated his strength in the paint by adding 19 points and grabbing a game-high 18 rebounds.
- Brandon Joyner came off the bench to add 11 points including a trio of three-pointers.
- Corey Joyner fell just shy of a double-double with 10 points and nine assists.
- The Builders held a slight edge on the boards with a 53-49 advantage and had a 38-34 edge in the paint.
- Defensively, the team forced 20 turnovers and had three blocks.
- MACU was led by Aaron Scott's 15 points and 10 rebounds.
The Builders are back in action this weekend as they will face Eastern Mennonite University and Bridgewater College as part of the Don Glick Classic hosted by Bridgewater. The team returns home to face Johnson & Wales on Wednesday, December 19 at 7 p.m. before taking a break for the holidays.