NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Apprentice School women's basketball team fell 78-62 to Warren Wilson in a conference matchup as part of the MLK Classic on Sunday afternoon.
ON THE COURT: The Lady Builders hung tough for most of the first half and cut the deficit to one 27-26 after an Alexis Wethington fastbreak layup and free throw. Warren Wilson capped the remaining 5:37 of the second half with an 17-1 to take a double-digit lead at the break. The Owls shot 58% from the floor and the Lady Builders shot 34% from the field. The Owls opened the second half on a 14-0 run before Aquazia Jones broke the drought with a free-throw. The Lady Builders cut the deficit to 14 points but the Owls cruised the remainder of the way.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- Aquazia Jones led the team with 17 points and 13 rebounds. She also had a season-high eight steals.
- Alexis Wethington added 16 points.
- Sabre Clegg came off the bench and added 11 points.
- The Lady Builders forced 21 turnovers and scored 27 points off the miscues.
- Warren Wilson outrebounded The Apprentice School 50-32.
- The Owls were led by Danielle Hinkelman, who had 19 points.
The Lady Builders have a midweek road matchup on Tuesday as they face Mid-Atlantic Christian at 7 p.m. before returning home to face Johnson & Wales on Saturday afternoon for a 2 p.m. tipoff.