NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Apprentice School women's basketball hung tough and defeated Johnson & Wales 62-53 in a conference matchup on Saturday afternoon.
ON THE COURT: The Lady Builders were short staffed with only five players dressed for the rematch against Johnson & Wales and battled tough to come away with their second straight victory. The Lady Builders sputtered offensively early on as the Wildcats jumped out to an 11-0 run to start the game. Sabre Clegg scored a layup to start a 14-0 run for the Lady Builders to take the lead. After a timeout with under two and a half minutes remaining, the Wildcats used an 8-0 run to take a 19-14 lead into the second quarter. The Lady Builders held the Wildcats to four field goals in the second stanza and forced eight turnovers into eight points as they took a four-point lead at the break. Out of the half, the teams battled back and forth with the Lady Builders taking a six-point lead into the fourth quarter. The Lady Builders continued their momentum and pulled away for a 62-53 conference victory.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- Aquazia Jones led the Lady Builders with a game-high 20 points. She added seven rebounds and had six steals.
- Alexis Wethington added a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Sabre Clegg posted a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds.
- The Lady Builders forced 26 turnovers and turned them into 21 points.
- Johnson & Wales outrebounded the Lady Builders 57-41.
- The Apprentice School had 16 fast-break points and held a 36-30 edge in the paint.
- The Lady Builders went to the free-throw line 41 times and made more free throws (19) than Johnson & Wales attempted (16).
- Johnson & Wales was led by Ineesha Hankerson, who had 20 points and nine rebounds.
The Lady Builders continue their homestand with a midweek matchup against Methodist University on Wednesday night at 6 p.m.