NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Apprentice School women's basketball team came up short in a 63-55 setback against Washington Adventist on Sunday afternoon.
ON THE COURT: The Lady Builders shot 27% from the floor in the first half and the Shock shot 39% from the floor and outrebounded the Lady Builders by 17 to build a nine-point lead. Out of the second half, the Shock kept the Lady Builders at bay for the majority of the game until the Lady Builders was able to cut the deficit to four late in the game. The Shock converted their free throws to extend the margin en route to their ninth straight victory.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- Aquazia Jones and Alexis Wethington both added a game-high 21 points for the Lady Builders.
- Alexis Wethington added seven rebounds and was 10-for-13 at the free throw line along with her 21 points.
- Along with her 21 points, Aquazia Jones added four steals and four assists.
- The Lady Builders forced 22 turnovers and scored 17 points off the miscues.
- Washington Adventist outrebounded the Lady Builders 51-23 and had 19 second-chance points.
- The Shock was led by Christine Mabry, who had 16 points.
The Lady Builders return to action with a mid-week road matchup against Bluefield State on Wednesday night at 5:30 p.m. The team return home with two games the following week with a 5:30 p.m. against Regent on February 11 and a 7 p.m. tip against Mid-Atlantic Christian on February 12.